Thursday, March 15, 2012

Reading Response

Author's Note: This is a short response to the poem, "Mother to Son" by Langston Hughes.  I am going to explain the mood/tone of the story and the figurative language used.

In the poem, "Mother to Son" by Langston Hughes, the author uses a handful of creative figurative language… He uses metaphors, hyperboles, and maybe symbolism, I'm not 100% sure… But the main figurative language is a metaphor, an astonishing example would be, "Life for me ain't been no crystal stair."  The metaphor, "life for me ain't been no crystal stair," means that this mother's life wasn't as fancy as a crystal staircase. Maybe she was poor, maybe she had some family problems, or shelter issues.  The main idea of that metaphor is that she was down that bumpy, not fancy road and she was beaten down, she's had to climb down and up so many issues and events.  And she does not want her son to go down that same road, she wants him to never give up, be strong and independent. That's the main idea of the metaphor.  In my opinion, the tone of this story would be encouraging, yet serious because, again, she's been down that road she's flat out trying to say that to her son, and she wants to not have it sound like a joke, but she wants to be encouraging, that's how I think the author set the tone.  I think the mood enhanced the overall meaning of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment